Monday, November 8, 2010

Throwback

I'll never forget the first day I met him. Well... my best friend Sasha actually met him before I did. It's a signficant part of the story that will make sense later.  It was Canada Day, 1989. It was a time of converse sneakers, pimples, puberty, crushes, and of course, heartbreak.

Summer had officially started; Canada Day at Stan Wadlow Park was the major event of the summer. And of course, I would not be there because I had a piano recital to practice for.

Stan Wadlow park was the place to be on any summer night, but Canada Day was particularly special.  It was a chance to check out the cute boys and girls that were going to be going to your school next year,check check out the competition and put first dibs on your crush.

 I was at home practicing Fur Elise for my piano recital. My parents weren't as liberal as Sasha's, who let her do pretty much whatever she wanted. I wasn't allowed to go anywhere if my parents weren't within enough yardage to yank me from the premises should they think that something was amiss. I really wanted to go to Stan Wadlow but it wouldn't kill me- only because with Sasha around I may as well have been invisible. She was beautiful with her light, near white complexion and hazel eyes, She had long thick black hair that cascaded down her back like a waterfall.  We couldn't walk two steps together without some guy asking for her name and phone number.

So I wasn't surprised when Sasha came running to my room, the next day, doubled over, hands on her knees, panting because she was out of breath.  She straightened up as soon as she was in front of my mirror, and peered into it, as though she were seeing herself for the first time.

"What is it?"  I asked, trying to hide my annoyance.  I knew that whatever she was about to tell me, I didn't want to hear. I mean how many times could I hear that this "really cute guy asked for my number," and act surprised?
She winced, and looked like a wounded puppy. I felt bad. For a second.
"Nothing." I snapped. "I have to get ready to practice. My recital is in two days and daddy's been on my case about it.
She  waived her hand in the air dismissing me, and plopped herself on my bed.
"You should have been at Stan Wadlow yesterday, man! Sooo many cuties. They were all over. And there was this one..."
Her hand flew to her heart and she cast her face upwards as she spoke of  'the one.'

"Really!?" I tried to sound more excited than my countenance displayed. As usual, Sasha was oblivious. She continued.
"He's so cute! He's lightskinned, and he has nice eyes. I didn't get to talk to him because he  was playing baseball.  I only saw him from afar. I told Paula to find out his name, but she didn't get a chance because there were so many guys there Renee. We kept getting stopped. Some guy said he knew him from Junior High School and that he was going to EYCI next year. We'll get to see him next year! He'll be in your grade. You have to find out who he is..."  She paused, and lay back on the bed stretching her arms over her head.
I wanted her to leave me alone. Why should I find out who he is. She wanted him. She should do the leg work. Besides, he'd probably fall in love with her on sight.

"Can you believe it?" She sighed. "High School. Older guys...we're gonna have so much fun next year."  She shot up off of my bed and walked over to my desk. She picked up my Royal Conservatory piano book off and flipped through it.
"It's so lame your parents make you do this. I feel so sorry for you. You never have time to hang out. It's not fair. You want me to ask my mom to talk to your mom?
"Are you crazy!" I shot back.  That would never work, in fact it would make things worse. "Thanks, but no thanks! I like playing piano," I lied.  I knew my parents were trying to give me "culture" by making me take lessons, but I'll admit, I did feel like I was missing out.
She dropped the book on my desk and shrugged and continued to peruse my belongings. She picked up a pair of silver earrings that  my Godmother brought back for me from a trip to Mexico.
"Hey...can I borrow this?" I'm going to the Secord dance next week and this would look great with my outfit!"
 I couldn't believe Sasha's parents allowed her to go such events. I suppose since her older (by 2 years)  cousin Paula (whom I disliked immensly)-was chaperoning her parents were fooled into thinking she'd be safe.
 Paula was anything but safe. She was a firestarter.  She was confrontational and loved to instigate fights. But our parents never saw that side of her because Paula was one heckuv an actress. She was tall and slim, with a pretty face and large doe-shaped eyes that gave the illusion of innocence. Talk about the devil in disguise.
a
Once, she tried to start a fight on my behalf because she claimed that the chick gave me the "cut-eye." I never saw it, and I really couldn't care less, but Paula was right there instigating, putting her hands in the girls face telling her she and I were going to kick her ass.
When the girl threw down her knapsack and balled her fists ready to go, Paula ran away, leaving me and Sasha to fend for ourselves.

Not to mention that Secord Community Center dances were notorious for fights and other trouble. It was the kind of environment Paula thrived in. She loved drama and she craved attention. Also, she dated older boys and they hung out at Secord. Sasha would be in heaven.

My parents would never let me go.

"Maybe I'll see my cutie there!" She said, casting her gaze heavenward again.

"Yeah, maybe you will." I said it flatly. I was making myself busy around my room, folding clothes, putting away books, trying to get her to notice I had no interest in the sordid details of her life. I thought she would get the point, but she didn't. I stared at her in disbelief. How could she be so aloof?

Her skin was flushed and slightly pink from her excitement and her eyes were wide with anticipation. She was so pretty it made me angry.

I was certainly not looking forward to next year. High school would be hell with Sasha as my best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment