Wednesday, December 26, 2012

CONFESSIONS FROM A FRUSTRATED NEW MOTHER (OF TWINS!)

Perhaps some of you can relate: I am feeling quite challenged at the moment. I am the proud mother to two new perfect twin boys: Zach and Noah Chalmers. I expected to lose sleep, get used to a new routine and I had heard about all the unwanted advice and suggestions that family would offer, but it's quite different when you are living with your in-laws, as opposed to them just visiting every once in a while. Babies bring out the best in people-and they can bring out the worst even though their worst is their best, and by this, I mean that everyone is an expert in child care and everyone seems to think your babies are theirs, usurping your authority, invading your space and it causes serious tension in relationships. This has been the hardest for me since I think I've been trying to prove myself my entire life. I incorrectly assumed that becoming a mother guaranteed I would no longer be treated like a baby. Ironic isn't it? I should have known it was going to be something when at the hospital a relative came to visit and tried to prevent me from breast-feeding my own kids. She then proceeded to come over every day-interrupting my breast feeding, and bonding with all kinds of silly, intrusive advice, the latest being to burn candles and incense when the babies smile at nobody in particular because they are entertaining spirits. Listen, I'm not getting rid of anyone or anything natural or supernatural that brings smiles to my babies' faces. Besides, I believe those smiles are for my dad, deceased about 12 years now, looking over his new grandsons. I am at my wits end now-and the loss of privacy is the biggest obstacle I have to face. I am tired of people stopping by. Trying to take my babies away from me... Especially since I'm a new mother and I need time to adjust to my new life. I need to bond with my boys and learn how to get over the fact that I'm never going to have a moment to myself for at least 18 years. I've heard that once the kids get older, the fascination wanes... I've read that you should just smile and say yes, to unwanted or unwarranted advice, and that it's o.k. to ignore it. I've tried that, along with prayer for the Good Lord to please let me hold my tongue-and keep me from punching the next person in the face who says "they don't mean to interfere but..." Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment